Thursday 19 January 2012

Submarine- Proof that the British Film Idustry doesn't completely suck


Submarine- Proof that the British Film Industry doesn’t completely suck

OK, admittedly this is delayed. Submarine has been out for quite a while now and I should have given the Brit-flick a watch before now. BAD DAN! But, there’s a reason I didn’t. I don’t like British film. I’m sorry, I know that’s treason, but unfortunately it’s true. Obviously I don’t not like all British film, but I have to admit I don’t love the lot of it. That being said, if I do go on to write a British film, I’ll love it, but that’s because I’m a hypocrite, yo. 

So this disdain for British cinema to overcome, I eventually gave Richard Ayoade’s coming of age indie-fest Submarine a watch. And I loved it. 

This could be contributed to my love for coming of age indie movies. Whether it is Juno, Nick and Nora’s infinite playlist, Scott Pilgrim vs. the word or Adventureland, if it smacks of 80s pop or folk B-sides, contains quirky dialogue and focuses on young love, and then his hardnosed critic is smiting. 

That being said, I still know whether the film is bad or not and Submarine certainly isn’t bad. Submarine definitely would go toe to toe with some of the best coming of age stories for the US and in most cases, would stand victorious. 

Right from the beginning, Submarine smacks of indie goodness, proving that Ayoade knows the genre incredibly well. Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts) is our protagonist and like all good coming of age stories, he isn’t exactly popular. Submarine hits all the beats you’d expect it to with gusto, unparreled to any British film I have recently seen. 

Why has it gone a long way to restoring my faith in British film? Well partly it’s due to snappy dialogue, the great performances and the relationship between our protagonist and his lover. However, that’s not everything. 

The best thing about Submarine is that it doesn’t get bogged down in all its Britishness. Yes, it’s British and it doesn’t shy away from that, but it doesn’t let it get in the way of the film either. It seems to me that British film after British film are more concerned about their British identity, that they let it get in the way of the story.

Not Submarine. Submarine accepts that it’s a British film pretty early on. But, not once does the British essence get in the away of the story. Not once does it feel forced when the characters say something quintessentially British, it feels right for that character. This is Submarine’s greatest asset and a credit to Mr Ayoade. 

Submarine’s only flaw is it’s a tad predictable. OK it hits all the beats with perfection, but they are all the same beats we’ve seen previously, but there the beats we haven’t seen in English film, so it is forgivable.
If you haven’t seen Submarine yet, give it a watch. You won’t regret it. And if you do, don’t blame me, as you shouldn’t have listened. 

Until next time, enjoy the show. 

Feel free to comment below. Or email me at: cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter @glamgrunge
Daniel Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment