Wednesday 11 January 2012

I've Been Sherlocked


I’ve Been Sherlocked

OK, this is my second Sherlock Holmes related article in the last few weeks. However, since this one is about the British TV show that airs on BBC 1 and not the film, then I think I’m OK to do it. 

I have definitely been Sherlocked. 

Admittedly, I didn’t take much notice of the first season when it debuted last year. Mainly due to the fact that I’m not the biggest fan of British television. I am inclined to go for more of an American approach to satisfy my TV taste buds.  I’m not too sure why this is, but I often find British TV a bit bland and highly influencing British Stereotypes. No wonder were seen as either mindless ruffians or toffs in the eyes of the world if they believe what is portrayed in our television shows to be a reflection of real British life. Alas, I’m getting off topic. 

I sat down New Years Day with my girlfriend, who is an avid Sherlock Holmes fan, to watch the first episode of second season of Sherlock. It was about ten minutes in when I first realised it: I was hooked. Since then I borrowed my girlfriend’s copy of Sherlock series one, watched it and also watched episode 2 of the second series which aired just last Sunday. 

After digesting all the Sherlock that was available, I have come to a conclusion: Sherlock is the best thing British Television has produced in a long, long while, if not ever. I know I’ll get some people wholeheartedly disagreeing with comments like ‘what about Doctor Who?’ and ‘What about Downtown Abby?’ and it’s OK to not agree with me, but for my money you’re not going to get better than Sherlock. 

OK, maybe it’s partly a case of right place, right time, with Mr Holmes and detective shows once again being all the trend. However, if not done right Sherlock would fall flat on its pipe smoking face.  With Mr Holmes comes a stigma of incredible intellect and a mass amount of Whit. Steven Moffet et al would have to adhere to this or the show would fail. 

Luckily it does and then some.  Each episode of Sherlock has as many twists and turns as any detective show that has come before it. But that’s not all; Benedict Cummberbach’s Holmes smacks every dry line with a ferocious amount of whit. Defiantly doing Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s characters justice. 

However, Sherlock’s greatest success was the idea to move it to the 21st century. Sceptical at first, this is what most impressed me about the TV Show. You would think that there would be some discrepancies due to how many years difference there is between Doyle’s original musings and today. But no, Moffat and his team have created a world so slick and accurate, that it stays true to the Book, but also doesn’t feel dated or out of place in a modern day setting. 

This hard work by Moffat has come to fruition as the show has become one of the hottest things on television. I don’t think I’m the only one who enjoys it as the whole countries been Sherlocked. 

Until next time, enjoy the show. 

Feel free to comment below, email me at: cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com
Follow me on twitter @glamgrunge
Daniel Morris.

2 comments:

  1. Mr Morris we meet yet again.

    I enjoy this little game of ours debating the finer points of Mr Conan Doyle's masterpiece.

    After careful analysis of this blog I have to agree whole heatedly with you, and believe me that does not come easily but you are right. Save for one particular aspect. I do not enjoy Messers Moffat and Gatiss' interpretation of Moriarty. too camp. Though I am interested as to your thoughts.

    Until next time.

    Professor Trolliarty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think Moriarty is one of the weaker points of the series. He's nowhere near as menacing as I would have hoped.

      Dan

      Delete