Thursday 5 January 2012

Five reasons to wet the bed in 2012


Five reasons to wet the bed in 2012

Well it’s a new year. With a new year comes a whole host of new movies scheduled to come out. I thought I’d give you people a bit of a treat and run down the top 5 films I’m most looking forward to this year. On paper 2012 looks like a great year, let’s hope it lives up to the hype. 

5. The Film: Men in Black 3. Release Date: 25th May 2012 

Agent J (Will Smith) and Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) are back in Black for the third time. This time J is forced to go back in time to rescue a younger K (Josh Brolin) from the clutches of Jermaine Clement’s Boris.
I was a bit sceptical about MIB 3, due to MIB 2 not living up to the first one. However, what I’ve seen of MIB 3 makes it look like a lot of fun. Back are the smart quips and Alien gags and Josh Brolin does a stellar TLJ impression. Let’s just hope the trailer doesn’t contain all the best bits. 

4. The Film: Brave. Release Date: 17th August, 2012 

Brave is the latest movie from the animation moguls Pixar and centres on Princess Merida, the first ever Pixar Disney Princess. 

I’m a huge Pixar fan. They could release a film about soap and I’m sure I’d be pretty excited about it. But, Brave looks good in its own right, centring on the Scottish moorlands. However, early footage has been heavily criticised by viewers. We can only hope Brave is the latest Pixar success and not another Cars 2. 

3. The Film: Django Unchained. Release Date: 26th December, 2012

I’m a big fan of Westerns. Who isn’t? Well this self proclaimed ‘Southern’ by Mr QT looks like it’s shaping up to be one of the best in recent years. Django Unchained centres on the titular Django, who with the help of a bounty hunter (Christopher Waltz) tries to free his wife from Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). 

Not only does Django contain one of the most impressive casts ever assembled, with the likes of Foxx, DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Samuel L Jackson and Sacha Baron Cohen appearing in the film. I’d been a bit disheartened with Mr QT, that is until Inglorious Bastards and now I’m a fan boy again. 

2. The Film: The Avengers. Release Date: 27th April, 2012

Avengers Assemble! I imagine I’m not the only one excited for this movie as it could quite possibly be the most highly anticipated blockbuster of recent years. Even my Granddad, A man who hasn’t visited a cinema since I was born, has asked me to go and see it with him. For all of you who have lived under a rock for the past couple of years, The Avengers are a group of superhero’s assigned to protect the world from such bad men as Loki and The Red Skull. 

Now, the plot of the film has been kept quite tight lipped, but what has eked out has sounded pretty impressive and having enjoyed most of the films used to set up The Avengers, it could easily be the film of the year. 

However, my only complaint is the footage and the marketing campaign that has graced our presence has all felt a bit flat. 

It’s this sinking feeling that has meant The Avengers has not got the top spot. But what has?

1.       The Film: The Dark Knight Rises. Release Date: 20th July, 2012

Surprise, surprise. I have chosen a Batman movie. But, with my bias aside, can you blame me? The Batman franchise since Nolan took a hold has just got better and better. Rises is set years after The Dark Knight and now Batman is an outlaw of Gotham. However, Bruce questions returning when Bane (Tom Hardy) turns up and starts to run-a-mock. 

Normally I stay away from spoilers, but I just can’t help myself. I’ve desperately tried to consume everything The Dark Knight Rises and I have been majorly impressed. Everything that has come out looks oh so good that it gets me as giddy as an alcoholic at happy hour, making The Dark Knight Rises unquestionably my most anticipated movie of 2012.

What do you think? Let me know @glamgrunge, or simply leave a comment below.
Until next time, enjoy the show. 

Daniel Morris.

1 comment:

  1. The Hobbit, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, The Woman in Black, my short and also Devil's Knot and When the Street Lights Go on although I'm not sure if these two will be released in 2012. Probably not. Oh, and also Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene.

    ReplyDelete