Tuesday 3 January 2012

How to make a good Rumble


How to Make a good Royal Rumble

I love the Royal Rumble. I imagine I’m not the only one, but I love it. Yes Wrestlemania’s are special. But, for pure entertainment there is nothing better than the Rumble. 

That being said, like everything in the Wrestling world, you can get bad ones. Don’t get me wrong there have been some stinkers in previous years. Last year’s probably being one of them. It’s not that they’re terrible; they’re just not as memorable. 

Today’s article is a brief guide on how to make your Rumble memorable. In my opinion at least anyway...

1)      Surprise, Surprise
Can You Dig It Suckaaaa? Well when it comes to surprise entrants. Yes, yes I can. Booker T and Kevin Nash returning at last year’s Rumble was one of the better bits about it and in my opinion, something like that should happen every year. Not all the Rumble entrants are going to win. I know that and everybody in the audience knows that, so why not get rid of a few of the few jobbers and have a few veterans in each rumble. They don’t even have to be past legends, just people to provide a bit of a nostalgia fest. We now they’re not going to win, but it doesn’t detract from it being damn fun. 

2)      Keep it at Thirty
The WWE have seemed to correct this one, but I want to mention it anyway. The problem with last year’s Rumble was it felt flat. This was because it was the biggest Rumble in history. Bigger isn’t always better and 40 entrants was far too many. Meaning we had more than our fair share of filler. With 30, the rumble zips by, but with 40 it didn’t. I know it seems like it wouldn’t change much, but it did and I felt for the worse. 

3)      Let a Baby Face win
OK, this one isn’t a hard and fast rule, but for me the Royal Rumble is the very road to the Wrestlemania main event. And for the majority of the Wrestlemania’s I would like to see the Babyface come into the Wrestlemania without the title. The Rumble is a great place for the babyface to start their Wrestlemania journey as it’s a huge feat to win in itself. 

4)      Make a star
This one the WWE does actually quite well. The Rumble is such a gruelling match, where due to the nature of the beast anything seems quite plausible. That’s why it’s a great opportunity to make a star or two. They don’t have to win it, just come close. Or at least do something impressive. If this happens then it’s almost an instant rocket to stardom. Just look at JoMo’s hype after this year’s rumble. It was off the charts and he didn’t come close to winning. The Rumble has the potential to make superstars and should be utilized as such.

5)      Monsters are Key
I like wrestling ability as much as the next guy. However, sometimes it’s just cool seeing big wrestles throwing people around. No more so than in the rumble, just look at Kane in the rumble. He’s always one of the people I most get excited about when its Rumble time. Why? Because he just throws bodies about like its garbage day and it’s damn entertaining to see. The Rumble is a spectacle and the Big Man is also a Wrestling spectacle and the two should go hand in hand.
So they’re my ingredients for a good Royal Rumble. Feel free to email me yours.
@glamgrunge

No comments:

Post a Comment