Tuesday 13 December 2011

Why Hugo shows what's wrong with Martin Scorsese


Why Hugo shows what’s wrong with Martin Scorsese

I love Martin Scorsese; he’s one of the biggest influences on my career path, as I imagine he is to many, many others. However, there is a stigma with Scorsese as there is with most talented directors that he can do no wrong. This, I disagree with, everybody has their flaws. Heck, look at Steven Spielberg and TinTin. Was it good? Yes, but was it perfect? Heck no. It lacked a lot of character depth and change. 

Scorsese is no different. The man is one of the pioneers of cinema, there is no questioning that, but he is by no means perfect. His latest movie Hugo is proof of this. Hugo, centres on Hugo Cabret an Orphan who runs the clocks in a train station in 1930s France. 

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Hugo for the most part. It was sentimental and was definitely a touching tribute to cinema of yesteryear. But again, it was far for perfect. Hugo ran at over two hours in length, with the slow plot making the film feel even longer. 

Contributing to the slow moving pace of the movie was the disjointedness of the plot. We get close to halfway in when the first mention of films happens and the rest of the story becomes apparent. Leaving the film feeling like two half stories than a complete one. 

A story needs a beginning, middle and an end. Without that then it’s not a story. It’s a showcase on a subject. If you don’t have a proper structure to your story then it will ultimately fail. That’s what I have learnt and I believe it to be true. Even non linear stories such as Pulp Fiction and Memento have a proper structure to them, thus making them terrific films. 

Hugo should be no exception. And this lacking of a proper structure just exposed the film as what it is: A homage, not a story. I completely understand why Scorsese did Hugo and I know his reason for doing it. He wanted to pay tribute to the cinema that made him the director that he is today. I’m fine with that and quite touched, but a good story that doesn’t make. 

This leads me to the title of this blog; I believe that Scorsese’s recent films focus too much on the spectacle and less on the Story. OK, The Departed doesn’t count, as the story for that is brilliant. However, films such as Shutter Island, The Aviator and Gangs of New York all focus on the spectacle, not the story. 

Yes, it is fantastic to see the big set pieces and interesting tone of each film. The fight sequences in Gangs of New York are fantastic, as are the flight sequences in The Aviator. But for me, what lacks in all three of these films are the stories and I think that becomes apparent. Yes, they look good, but when I watch them, I’m not wowed. Not like I am with his earlier work anyway. 

I don’t know why Scorsese has shifted from story to spectacle, but it’s the case. And for me this is becoming a problem in truly appreciating his recent work, just as I used to. Scorsese needs to get back to telling the stories, because when he does, he’s one of the best. 

Tell me what you think by commenting below. 

If you want to email: cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter: @glamgrunge
Until next time, enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment