Thursday 8 December 2011

Sacha Baron Cohen: The Best of British


Sacha Baron Cohen:  The Best of British. 

When I was younger Ali G: In da house was the film to talk about between me and my classmates. If you hadn’t seen Ali G outrageously becoming a member of parliament, then you would have to sit with the kids that eat beetroot sandwiches and listened to the radio before bedtime. The reasons for this movie’s success with me and my chums were the swearing, the innuendos and the sexual references. 

Now watching Ali G I realise two things. The film is a lot smarter than my twelve year old self gave it credit for. What I thought was a lads comedy, is actually a satire on the political system in modern day Britain. Not just the occasional sex joke then? Never mind. 

The second thing that’s apparent while watching Ali G, whether it be the film or the TV show, is how talented Sacha Baron Cohen is. Again, if you had asked me a few years ago whether I thought Sacha Baron Cohen was going to be a star, I would probably have heavily protested, claiming that he’s only good at acting a fool. 

That would not be Sacha’s fault, but mine, for not realising what Sacha is about. As anyone can see, he’s more than just a funny man; he’s a damn good actor. In the last few years Sacha has moved on from Ali G and brought to the big screen two more characters from his TV shows: Borat and Bruno. 

Both of these films include elements of pseudo-realism and both try to showcase the stupidity and close-mindedness of the western world. Yes they are funny, but that’s not the main point of these films. They are here to inform, then entertain. Showcasing Mr Cohen’s talent for creating a message behind a story. Not just a funny man after all. 

However, Bruno and Borat aren’t my favourite Sacha films. It’s his performance’s in Hollywood that has made me realise that Sasha is one of the most talented comedians around, British or not. Sacha has starred in such films as Talladega Nights, Madagascar, Sweeney Todd and Martin Scorscece’s homage to movies: Hugo. 

In every one of these movies, SBC has given thoroughly enjoyable performances. However, the most impressive thing about these performances is there all completely different. It’s like the man is a chameleon. A French racing car driver, a king lemur, a south London fraud pretending to be an Italian barber, and an English-French station agent, Sasha has truly done it all. 

But it’s more than just performing the role, Sasha becomes the role. He immerses himself so much into his comedic role that it takes you a while to realise, which forces you to shout at the television ‘that’s Ali G!’
The most impressive thing about Sasha’s performances has to be how seriously he takes his comedic roles. 

Take Talladega Nights for example. Sasha plays Jean Girard with a seriousness you would expect from Phillip Seymour Hoffman in his latest Oscar fair. But, it works and it works well. Sasha believes he’s that character so much, that it’s hard for us not to believe him too. 

I know he’s not the biggest star in Britain at the moment, but for my money, he’s definitely the best. When it comes to comedy anyway. 

What do you think? Feel free to let me know?
Follow me on Twitter @glamgrunge
Until next time, enjoy the show
Daniel Morris

4 comments:

  1. He's just been cast as Thenardier in Les Miserables and I couldn't be happier about it - especially as it seemed like the role was going to go to Geoffrey Rush for a while (I like Geoffrey Rush but that casting wouldn't have been right).

    ReplyDelete
  2. But currently speaking, 'Borat' is his best work - both as a film and as an actor. I genuinely believe that he deserved an Oscar nomination for best lead actor for that film. At least they threw the film a bone with its best adapted screenplay nomination - although that's arguably the least deserving of all the noms they could have given it given how highly improvised it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like Borat I do, but story wise I felt it lacking in parts, the gags were good, but the Improvisation lead away from the story. As an Actor I think his best work is Taledega, with Sweeney Todd probably being his best film.

    Les Mis looks like it's going to be class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that 'Borat' had as much of a story as it did. I suppose I wasn't expecting much more than some sketches on the big screen, so the fact that it gave me that with a storyline - and one that REALLY did reach me emotionally (you can't help but feel really bad for 'Borat' when he hits his low point) was just gravy.

    Have you seen the trailer for 'The Dictator'? Sadly it pretty much looks like I expected: another 'Ali G Indahouse'.

    ReplyDelete