Friday 23 December 2011

Watson was better than Holmes


Watson was better than Holmes 

Last Saturday I had a real treat, I went to the cinema to watch a British Movie that didn’t suck. OK, so I went to see Sherlock Holmes. Being made by Warner Brothers makes it not British, but essentially most of the key elements are. Anyway, moving on. 

I really liked the first Holmes film; finding a bit of wit in an action movie is a very refreshing feeling. Also, the banter between Sherlock and Watson is pretty impressive. They cut back and forth so easily. 

Well the sequel, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is bigger and generally better. Guy Ritchie has taken a ‘If it’s not broke don’t fix it’ approach to the second film, just giving us more of what made the first Holmes' film good. We have bigger action sequences and just as much whit. But, probably the best thing about Shadows is the relationship between Watson and Holmes. In which I prefer Jude Law’s Watson to Mr Downey Jnr’s Holmes. 

Don’t get me wrong, like more or less everyone on planet Earth I am a huge fan of my Downey Jnr and he is probably my favourite ‘superstar’. He brings and edge to big name performances that have been unseen. Proving that Cocaine’s not always bad (kidding!).

In the first Sherlock film, RDJ definitely steals the show. I’m not arguing that. He fires witty line after witty line and gives a truly memorable performance of one of England’s most famous literary figures. Considering all the stigma around a well known character, is not an easy feet. 

This time round I found myself enjoying Jude Law’s Watson More than RDJ’s Holmes. That’s not saying that RDJ was worse this time round, far from it. He was probably actually better. Growing into a role that will probably define his career. But, for me Jude Law was better. 

In Shadows Watson emerges as much more than just Holmes’ sidekick. He is a real character with emotion and back story. We want him to succeed just as much as we do Holmes. Well in my case, more so. 

The main reason I preferred Watson to Holmes was because to me he was more real. Yes, Holmes is funny and entirely entertaining. But, he’s a superhero. He has very little weakness and a great deal of strength. This is great to watch, but hard for me to get truly invested in. 

Watson on the other hand is as real as you can get. Yes, he’s good at what he does, but he also has weaknesses and daemons. Things that I want him to overcome. Things that I can invest in. Making him a more rounded better character. 

I know that reason has a lot to do with the way the character is written, more so than the performance. But, I think Jude law was pretty impressive pulling this character off. 

Playing the straight man in a double act is criminally underrated. While the over the top character gets all the accolades, it’s the guy whose playing it ‘straight’ that is doing a lot of the hard work. Without, this balance the partnership would fail. On top of this, playing it serious is not an easy thing to do. It’s quite easy to shout and scream, but to play a full rounded, sensible character? Not an easy feat. That’s why I stick to whacky characters. 

So yes RDJ is great as Holmes. But without Watson, Holmes wouldn’t be half as good. And without Law neither would Shadows. 

Until next time, enjoy the show.
Daniel Morris.

22 comments:

  1. Dear Professor Morrisorty.........Your wrong.

    Allow me to list all the ways in which you are wrong in chronological order.

    Firstly you describe the second film as being better than the first. The first film contained a moderately coherent plot with a satisfactory explanation to the supernatural deeds of Mark Strong's Lord Blackwood. The second film however contained a paper thin plot stretched far to thinly over the 2 hours hours plus run time.

    Secondly you stated that Holmes is portrayed as a superhero. May I draw attention to Watson's remarkable marksmanship and ability to overcome his physical disability, allowing this war wounded cripple to run through a Forrest when conviniance dictates.

    Finally you state Watson is allowed to do his own thing in this film. Please describe to me one occasion when Watson follows his own initiative rather than the order of Holmes.

    Please use more intelligence when writing this blog. thanks

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous said... I completely agree Daniel is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

    Btw... Hell Boy 2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No your wrong too!. You've been reading this blog too long if you feel thats a good film you prick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What us two? Sweately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, brilliant, tho.. Edge sucks ass more than Watson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edge or Watson?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Niether Chris Benoit is the man for me. Not seen him in a while though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, why doesn't he wrastle any more... Real stand up guy! Bet he has taken some time off work to spend with his wife and kids :-) LAD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guy's please I thought Daniel wrote a really nice piece, just because he got everything wrong doesn't give you the right to say such, horrible horrible things.

    I like Whatson's lovely mustache

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annon your right I feel guilty to having ago at someone so ignorant at film and media in general. I just assume that everyone studies media like me and understand that there are people out there who dint understand or comprehend media, such as the author of this blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Anonymous said... Seems that there is three of us now :-)

    At least we agree that Daniel is WRONG. I mean each of these 'blog' entries is pretty, pretty, pretty wrong. But this one takes the biscuit... Sherlock 2 a treat?

    This is ridiculous... this guy must have a degree in Science or something... Has he never seen Captain America... Pure excelecne! brilliance! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya guys I'm new to this Blog. I was told that it was a place to discuss in depth the finer point of cinema and it didnt dissapoint. Keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are doing an MA in film/screen writing? God help us all...

    Also in SH2, I thought that the thoughtless replacement of one brunette with another was severely downplayed, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Four of us? OMG! Lets make it five, I am also a new poster... previously I have simply read this fine piece of, may I asy 'art'. Let me have my tuppence worth.

    Lets return to our original point Watson is god! Well no Mr Morris, Mr Dear Anonymous, Watson is not god and neither is Sherlock. The film quite frankly was average at best... Mr Snyder had it right, the more fps the better. Them slo-mo trees were OK, and OK is the best they will ever be. In 300, Watchmen and even Legend of the Guardians the slo-mo effect were used to MAXIMUM effect. Also there was FAR more penis. Did we see RDJ or JL's penis... no. Point made :-)

    Cheers,

    Anony!

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bananas and shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I <3 bananas and shrimp!

    However, to more important things---do you reckon Sherlock's penis is bigger than Watsons? Bet Morris knows already...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done my little birds, well done.

    Mr Morris I address you directly now, I have read your blog from afar with envious eyes, ever so envious eyes. I have seen those who have attempted to reason with and explain to you why and in what way you are wrong but to no avail.

    Instead I will be watching this blog with a great deal of interest, waiting on your every post hanging on your every word. This I promise you.

    The game is most certainly afoot

    Yours sincerely
    Professor Trolliarty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shrimps suck ass!

    Trolliarty, I would like to address your point babe. You may be watching this blog with "a greta deal of interest" however it will be to no avail. Mr Morris is always wrong with regards at all media, film and in particular wrasling. Sorry and good night.

    Signing out,

    Bananas (no shrimp)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Professor Trolliarty29 December 2011 at 17:27

    Fair point well made Bannanas

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for posting. I haven't posted during the holidays and you have kept my pageviews up. Truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete