Saturday 3 December 2011

I just don't see the big deal about Daniel Bryan


I just don’t see the big deal about Daniel Bryan

I’m not just writing this to be controversial. I don’t get my kicks by being edgy.  I’m just voicing my opinion. I do realise that my opinion is one of those in the minority, in this instance. But, that’s the great thing about opinions, they can’t be wrong. Except yours. Yours is wrong. I just don’t see the big deal about Daniel Bryan. 

Yes I realise he’s a good worker. But championship material? I just don’t see it. Not yet anyway. I realise that being technically gifted at wrestling is important in the wrestling business, but it’s not the only thing that is important. If it was then Daniel Bryan would be a main event talent for sure. 

So would guys like Dean Malenko and Shelton Benjamin. Both undoubtedly good workers, but neither of them reached the pinnacle of the WWE. Why is that? They lacked that X Factor, that championship quality that propels a good worker to a great champion. 

Yes wrestling ability is important, but it’s not the only thing that matters. A superstar has to also be able to talk, be charismatic, connect with the fans and be unique. All of these things mixed with wrestling ability make top level superstars. Look at all the past successful champions and the only think some of them don’t have is the ability to work. 

Brining me back to my original point, I just don’t see all these qualities in Daniel Bryan. Admittedly, the only wrestling I watch is WWE, TNA and the occasional match in ROH when I’ve been told to. So I hadn’t seen much of D Bry before he came to the E. What I have judged my opinion on is Bryan’s time in the WWE. 

Daniel Bryan just doesn’t wow me as a superstar. I just don’t find myself rooting for him as a character. I like watching him in the ring, for sure. But, outside of the ring he just strikes me as plain. Love him or hate him, it’s important that John Cena evokes a reaction. When somebody evokes a reaction, good or bad, it’s a sign that you care. 

When you don’t have an opinion about a superstar, that’s when a problem can occur. And I just don’t really care about Daniel Bryan. To be fair, I don’t think it’s all Daniel Bryan’s fault. I think the WWE have struggled to book Daniel Bryan in a way to show off his talents. 

Daniel Bryan in NXT showed some impressive mic skills, demonstrating passion and heart. That quickly went when he moved to the full time roster and became the Nerdy White guy whose defining characteristic is that he’s a vegan. This character doesn’t scream superstar and maybe a key factor in my lukewarm opinion of DB. 

What would I do with him? Turn him heel. I think it could work. Daniel Bryan is obviously somebody who loves wrestling. Why not turn him into the guy that believes he’s a better wrestler than anybody. Somebody who despises the other superstars that he believes aren't as good as him. To me, that’s a character I could invest in.

All being said, the WWE or Daniel Bryan himself needs to do a little bit more for me to care about him. Until then, I just don’t see the big deal. 

Feel free to comment and tell me I’m wrong.
Twitter: @glamgrunge
Until next time, enjoy the show.
Daniel Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment