Wednesday 21 December 2011

It's Christmasssssssssssssssssss (Movies)


It’s Christmasssssssssssss (Movies)

This will not be a Christmas movie list. My good friend Sol already covered that. You can check that out here. Instead this is just a brief rambling on Christmas movies and my opinions on them. Plus, it’s probably for the best that I don’t rank Christmas movies.  Jingle all the Way is my favourite, by quite a bit. 

What Christmas movies should be for me is fun. Yes, I think a message is important and I’ll touch on that later. But, if you don’t have fun, then, for me at least you have very little. 

It’s OK for Christmas movies to be cheesy, actually it’s pretty essential. If a Christmas movie takes itself too seriously, then it’s more than likely not going to be the light entertainment it should be. Movies like Christmas with the Kranks and Fred Claus get a bad rap for being too obvious AKA Cheesy. But, they’re allowed to be. A Christmas Movie’s sole purpose is to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, if to do that it has to be a bit cheesy then so be it. 

All that being said, a message is crucial in the Christmas Movie. No matter how subtle or obvious it is a message is essential. Christmas is the time about giving and sharing. Yes, it’s about presents, but essentially it’s about family and loved ones. For me a Christmas film needs to reflect this. All the great Christmas films have one. From Nightmare before Christmas to It’s A Wonderful life, if you want to have a successful Christmas film then you need a Christmas message. 

Christmas is a theme not a Genre as a Christmas movies transcend genre and can be any genre. From comedy (Elf) to Action (Die Hard) to Horror (Nightmare before Christmas) as long as it’s set around Christmas time and contains a Christmassy message, then in my eyes it’s a Christmas movie. So deal with it. 

Yes, I previously said that Christmas Movies can be cheesy and I am the firm belief of that. I also probably like more Christmas movies than most people. But, I do think there are bad ones out there. The ones for me that are bad are the ones that try far too hard. Its Christmas movies such as Deck The Halls and Four Christmases that I don’t like. To me these movies try to force the comedy and the cheese, leaving me completely unenthused. 

However, these movies aren’t my least favourite Christmas movie. That title belongs to a film that many people like. That being Love Actually. I know it’s loved by many, but I can’t stand it. To me it’s far too forced and takes itself far too seriously. I know I might receive a lynching for that, but so be it. Bring it on. I’m a Ninja. 

Lastly, if anyone hasn’t watched it please watch Jingle all the Way. Yes, it’s cheesy and yes it’s obvious. But, it is far too much fun and contains quite a nice message. Also, Its Arnie so you know it’s going to be class. 

Until next time, enjoy the show. 

Email me with any questions or comments cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com

@glamgrunge 

Daniel Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment