Monday 7 November 2011

why Sons of Anarchy is the best thing on Television?


Why Sons of Anarchy is the best thing on Television?

I watch a lot of Television, and have a high regard for most American Drama on Television. Yes there is some bad, but the majority of it is very interesting, very entertaining Television. However, when I hear a motorcycle engine rev up, I get excited. Why? Because Sons of Anarchy is the best thing on Television. And that ladies and gentlemen, is a stone cold fact. 

Now in its four series and commissioned for a fifth, Sons of Anarchy has built up a big following in America hitting huge ratings with the season four opener. That popularity stateside has transcended across the pond and has now gained modest popularity here in the UK. It’s not just avid TV nuts who watch the boys from SAMCRO anymore; there is a more widespread audience. 

However, this popularity hasn’t manifested itself into shiny awards. Unlike big dramas like Madmen, Boardwalk Empire and Games of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy seems to get unnoticed when it comes to award season. The only notable award it has acquired is Katy Sagal’s Golden Globe for Gemma Teller. However, she was subsequently left out of any Emmy nominations what so ever. 

This fact completely baffles me. As to me, Sons of Anarchy is the pinnacle of Television Drama everywhere. Like all great Drama’s Son’s has a struggling protagonist in Jax Teller, played by the superb Charlie Hunnam. However, it’s not just Charlie Hunnam who gives a great performance. As there are great characters across the board. All who are deeply floored adding a mass amount of depth to every episode. 

We’re four series in and now exploring so called ‘b’ characters with the same amount of precision and accuracy as our main cast. The depth of the world, creator Kurt Sutter and his team have assembled is completely astounding. 

However, it’s not just the cast that are worth the watch. The show itself is its own strong point. Son's deals with issues of corruption, racism, gang violence and even foreign relations as well as any other drama before it. Deep in every blood soaked episode is a serious message that we should take note of. What son's does is deliver great subtext, with even better context. 

But, it’s not all doom and gloom. There are some moments of great comedy in there as well. Mixed into the heavy stuff are moments of light romanticism and comedy, blending more than one genre together to make a more complete show. 

All this being said, I have to say that my favourite thing about Sons of Anarchy is the music. Wow. They don’t half know how to pick a song to fit a mood. I’m completely against the over use of music in television as I believe some TV shows use it as a failsafe to add to a mood, which could easily be done on screen. This doesn’t happen in Sons. Every score has its place and feels right for the scene that it’s placed in. Plus, Katy Segal proves that she can definitely sing. 

OK, I know, this might sound like a support campaign for the TV show, but I really do think it’s that good. I implore anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, to watch it. Hell, it’s better than Frankie Cocozza butchering songs on a Saturday night, so watch it then. 

What do you think? Do you think I’m OTT? Can you name a better TV show out there, let me know. 

Feel free to email me at cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com
Follow me on twitter @glamgrunge
Add me on Facebook
And until next time, enjoy the Show.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen 'Breaking Bad'... because I can't believe that someone who's seen 'Breaking Bad' wouldn't say that it's the greatest thing on television and if you haven't seen it, you can't claim 'Sons of Anarchy' to be the greatest thing on television because clearly, 'Breaking Bad' is.

    (After 'Futurama', but that goes without saying).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen breaking bad and I love it, but I just prefer Sons better.

    Futuruama is the greatest thing on television

    ReplyDelete