Tuesday 29 November 2011

Michael Pena: Comedies Invisible Man


Michael Pena: Comedies Invisible Man
I can see what you’re doing. You’re sat at your computer, with a complex look on your face. This look is not just because you’re wondering why Lou Ferrigno is in I’m a Celebrity Get me out of Here. This particular perplexed expression plastered across your mug is because you’re racking your brain on who Michael Pena actually is. 

Crash, 30 Minutes or Less, Tower Heist, World Trade Center and Babel are just a few of the films that Michael Pena has been in. If you’re still stuck to put a name to the face, I’m going to break a tradition of a lifetime and link you to a picture here. Now, you’re thinking ‘oh hiiiiiiim, I like him’. It’s sad to say, but I think Michael Pena is one of those forgotten faces. 

This is a damn shame as he’s actually incredibly talented. For me, he gave one of the standout performances in Crash and the best thing about the woefully drab World Trade Center. There are actors in this world who have half the talent that Pena has, but are twice as famous. A fact that is as unfair as why Paris Hilton is known around the world and I have to remind my Gran who I am. 

Pena started out as a drama guy. Doing the films that I’ve previously mentioned and doing them very, very well. However, Pena’s latest performances have told us something. No matter how good Michael Pena is at Drama, Comedy is where he is at his best. And his best is damn good. 

Over the last few years Pena has starred in Thirty Minutes or Less, Observe and Report, Tower Heist, Eastbound and Down and gives a comic performance in The Lincoln Lawyer. Although, some of these films haven’t set the world on fire, Michael Pena has been pretty funny. 

Take Tower Heist for example. The Film itself is average at best, with the plot pretty loose in parts.  However, Pena is fantastic in his role and along with an inform Eddie Murphy, one of the better things in the movie. 

The sad thing is, despite Pena’s comic talents, he’s still pretty unknown. OK maybe some of you may know who he is, but I’m willing to put my reputation (or lack of one) on the fact that a lot of you weren’t too sure who he was until reading this article. 

Why do I think this is? Well it could be down to the comedies that Pena has been in, not being the best in the world. However, the last few have been pretty high profile, which doesn’t explain why. It’s a sad fact of life, but some actors are just not recognised for their talents as much as others. It’s a shame, but it’s true. 

If you haven’t heard who Michael Pena is, check him out, because he’s damn talented and funny to boot. I promise. If you don’t agree, I’ll buy you a lollipop. Aaaah lies, don’t you love em?

What do you think? Am I talking rubbish are u a Pena Believer? Feel free to let me know at cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter @glamgrunge
Add me on Facebook.
Until next time, enjoy the show.
Daniel Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment