Tuesday 1 November 2011

Top Ten Horror Movies.


Top Ten Horror Movies. 

HAPPY HALLOWEEEN. 

This is it folks. It’s the big day. I Hope everybody is enjoying Halloween. To celebrate I’m going to countdown my top ten horror movies of all time. 

Without further ado, let’s get cracking shall we. 

10. The Film:  The Shining (1980) Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
The Plot: Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) and his family head to a deserted hotel for the winter. However, Jack becomes possessed by an evil presence and tries to hurt his family. 

Why it’s great? Kicking of our list today is Stanley Kubrick’s madness masterpiece. The Shining is slow and brooding to begin with, but kicks in to a creepy overdrive as Jack Torrance becomes obsessed with hurting his family. What’s great about The Shining is there is literally no escape for Jack’s family. Jack Nicholson’s manic Jack, only adds to this movie.

9. The Film: The Evil Dead (1981) Directed by: Sam Raimi:
The Plot: Five Friends head to a cabin in the woods, looking for a good time. However, they accidently release daemons upon themselves and have to survive the night. 

Why it’s great: The master of comedy-horror’s first film in a genre that he will undoubtedly make his own.  The Evil Dead has become a cult favourite among many film fans and rightly so. It’s short, but anything but sweat. The best thing about The Evil Dead is clearly the special effects. Still looking impressive today, so I wonder how much people s*** themselves when they first scene it. 

8. The Film:  The Thing (1982) Directed by: John Carpenter
The Plot: R.J Macready (Kurt Russell) and the other members of the scientific expedition in the Antarctic are terrorised by a shape shifting Alien that imitates its victims once it’s killed them. 

Why it’s great: In my opinion, legendary horror director, John Carpenter’s best work. Carpenter took a cheesy B- Movie from the fifties and legitimized it into a real horror film. The tension in the film is only eclipsed with the gore. The only bad thing about the thing is that the newest remake is coming out, minus a Kurt Russell perm, so you know it’s going to suck. Why won’t Hollywood leave great films alone?

7. The Film: Videodrome (1983) Directed by: David Cronenberg
The Plot: Max Renn (James Woods) is the sleaziest TV programmer there is. He’ll do anything for a quick buck. However, his life takes an interesting twist when he comes across a new program for his television channel. 

Why it’s great? The film that influenced The Ring. And it’s miles better. David Cronenberg is a master behind the camera, no matter what genre he decides to tackle. That being said, his forte is definitely horror and he proved that in the 80s. The Fly, is evidently his most popular work, but for me nothing beats Videodrome. An incredibly underrated horror movie. Even for James Woods alone. 

6. The Film: Psycho (1960) Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
The Plot: Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) stole $40,000 dollars to start a new life. However, on her escape she stops at a deserted hotel, where the only occupier is owner, Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) and his Mother. 

Why it’s Great: Hitchcock is the master of suspense.  He is also the master of most horror conventions we take for granted. Killing a star of early in the movie? Hitchcock did it first. Tense music, leading to nothing? Hitchcock did it first. And a shocking twist in the third act? You guessed it. Hitchcock did it first. Psycho has all this and more in one of the most influential horror movies of our time. 

5. The Film: Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Directed by: Wes Craven
The Plot: In Elm Street, the teens of a lynch mob are terrorised in their dreams, by the suspected child murderer the mob lynched. 

Why it’s great: Ok, I have a soft spot for the Nightmare series. It is definitely my favourite Horror Movie franchise. But, what I love about it is it’s so unique and such a brilliant concept. Where can you run, when the way you die is when you fall asleep? Everybody has to do it, and when you do, that’s when Freddy with get you. 

4. The Film: Rec (2007) Directed by: Jaume Balaguero
The Plot: Angela Vidal (Manuela Velasco) and her Cameraman cover a shift at the fire station. However, it all goes wrong when their sent to investigate a call and all hell breaks loose. 

Why it’s great: The first time I watched Rec, was with me and three other of my housemates. I’ve never seen a room full of students reduced to silent screams as quickly as I did that night. There is no doubt about it, Rec is Horrifying and original. But, what adds to Rec for us English speakers is we don’t know a lot of what’s going on. 

Top three time. Excited? No? Aww please keep reading.

3. The Film: Alien (1979) Directed by: Ridley Scott
The Plot: The Crew of the mining ship The Nostromo are sent to investigate a distress call. However, when they return from the ship they soon discover that they’re not alone. 

Why it’s great: Ridley Scott read the script of Alien in forty minutes and fell in love. It’s evident that he loved the script because he crafted a fantastic movie out of it. The suspense is great, but what really makes Alien excel is the shocks. Especially the famous John Hurt scene, but the film is chocked full of them, making it a fantastic Horror Film. 

2. The Film: Misery (1990) Directed by: Rob Reiner
The Plot: Paul Sheldon (James Caan) is a successful novelist. However, on the way back from finishing his latest work, his car hits the snow and he is saved by Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates, who is not as lovely as she seems. 

Why it’s Great? Rob Reiner is not known for directing Horror. However, you couldn’t tell that if you watch Misery as it as well crafted a horror film as there has ever been. James Caan plays unlikeable Paul Sheldon to a T, but is completely out performed By Kathy Bates. However, it’s the story that is the real draw as every beat is in the right place.

1. The Film: Jaws (1975) Directed by: Steven Spielberg
The Plot: Amity Island is a small tourist resort. However, business is threatened when a shark is spotted on the shore. 

Why it’s Great? So our number one film is a little horror film that not many people know involving a fish and a certain musical score. Why does Jaws top the list? Because it is by far the greatest Horror film ever made. The setting is great, the story works and the performances are stellar across the board. However, what makes Jaws stand out from the pack, is the monster itself. A Horror film is only as good as its monster and Jaws’ monster is the best. 

So that’s my list. What do you think?
Don’t forget to add me on Facebook.
Follow me on Twitter @glamgrunge
Until next time, enjoy the show.
Daniel Morris.

1 comment:

  1. 10. This film was ruined for me ever since I read the book.

    9. Great pick.

    8. My personal favourite 'straight' horror film - as in, not a horror comedy or anything like that.

    7. I'm not sure if I'd consider it a horror movie or not, but I certainly agree that it's a fantastic piece of work.

    6. I need to re-watch 'Psycho', but I'm sure that when I do, I'll agree that it's incredible given Hitchock's track record with my tastes.

    5. See... we disagree here. I despise this film. I think it's complete and utter shit. I thought maybe I needed to give it a second chance so I did and I hated it even more because I just ended up fixating on all the stuff that annoyed me the first time around. I love 'New Nightmare', though - it's like the blueprint for 'Scream'.

    4. Wonderful film. Easily the scariest film I've ever seen in terms of getting your heart-rate going and making you jump. It doesn't leave any real lasting impression, but to say I first saw it in a tiny box on my computer screen, streaming online (I've since bought it and its sequel because they deserved my money) and it still had my gripping the edge of my seat... well, it's remarkable.

    3. Masterpiece.

    2. Ehhh... I like Misery, don't get me wrong. But #2? Really? I'd also think of it as more of a thriller than a horror film - but then, thrillers are basically all horror films when you think about it. They're just at the weaker end of the spectrum.

    1. Similar reaction to #2, except that Jaws is a far better film than Misery. Worthy of the list if I'm being objective, but it doesn't light my fire, so to speak, personally.

    ReplyDelete