Thursday 22 September 2011

Why the best wrestling angle on TV isn't from WWE


Why the best wrestling angle on TV isn’t from WWE

I know I wrote an article about TNA last week, but since we’ve just had a PPV from both companies and TNA’S Bound for Glory PPV is coming up, there is something that I think needs to be said. That is that: The best angle at the moment is coming from TNA, not the WWE. In my opinion at least. This is a very rare occurrence. Even though TNA does have potentially good storylines now and then, they never really make me stop and take note. 

Just so I’m not leaving Vinnie Mac and the boys out, I’ll talk briefly about the HHH vs. Punk conspiracy angle. I’m not saying I don’t like the angle. Quite the opposite really as it does have some potential. Is it as good as I thought it was going to be when Punk cut that promo? Heck No. 

I’m not sure where the angle’s going to go. Usually this is a good thing and I enjoy the unpredictability of an angle. However, I’m not too sure whether the WWE has a long term plan for where the angle is going to go.

To me, it feels like they are holding off HHH turning heel as long as possible, because a lot of us fans see it coming. We only see it coming because it is the right thing to do. OK, yeah the ‘Who’s involved in the conspiracy’ angle is interesting, especially since The Miz and Truth have been ‘fired’ now.  But, since we don’t have a designated heel in the angle, it’s pretty hard to emotionally get involved. 

I could be wrong, and WWE could pull a swerve and do something completely unexpected. Leaving this writer to eat a rather large slice of humble pie. Until then, I just feel that TNA has got a better angle going at the moment. 

The angle I’m talking about? Hogan vs. Sting of course. 

Ha, gottcha. It’s the Robert Roode vs. The rest of Fortune. For those lucky few who don’t commit Television self harm by watching TNA each week, I’ll quickly fill you in on the angle. Robert Roode has just won the Bound for Glory series and thus earned a title match against Kurt Angle at the biggest PPV of the year. 

On the next IMPACT, Angle came out and booked Roode in a series of matches pitting Roode against his Fortune team mates and ‘best friends’ including his tag team partner James Storm. 

The Fortune guys can let Roode win, but then they would be down the pecking order for a title shot. If any member of Fortune beats Roode, they will be in line for a title shot at whoever the champion is after Bound for Glory

I hope I did that angle justice because I’m really impressed with it. TNA have taken a solid underdog story that the fans are invested in and raised the stakes leading up to their big main event. To me it has everything an angle should have. It has emotion, logic and creativity to create a completely believable scenario. 

We can see why one of Fortune would want to beat him and we can see that it’s going to cause conflict and create obstacles for Roode to overcome. I also, can see Robert Roode’s logic behind the angle. Some people say that Roode has nothing to lose in the angle and could easily just lie down for Fortune. However, Roode is at the highest point of his career and I believe that his character will want to show everybody that he is deserved of the title shot. 

OK, it’s not going to be the longest running angle in the world, but there is nothing to say it has to be a long angle to be good one. An angle should be as long as needed to tell a well crafted story. Also it sets up many possibilities for the future and could possibly create more than one top level talent. 

I would personally have Roode beat Kaz, Daniels and AJ in hard-fought battles. Then I would have Roode vs. Storm the week before bound for glory. They will fight for 20 minutes where Roode would get the win fractionally. Everyone would cheer and they would shake hands in the ring. 

After Bound for Glory I would have Roode vs. Storm for the title. Storm would eventually turn heel against rude, creating two new top stars that have paid their dues and that the fans could get behind. 

My only hope is that TNA don’t blow this angle and with TNA there is definitely a big possibility of that. I’m sure there is a chance of David Arquette turning up and winning the TNA world championship. 

What are your thoughts on the angle? Do you like it? Hate it? Think I’m being too generous? Feel free to let me know. 

Thanks for reading.
Don’t forget to follow me on twitter @glamgrunge
Add me on Facebook
And until next time, enjoy the show.
Daniel Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment