Tuesday 28 February 2012

Santino could be a World Champion by the end of the year


Santino could be a World Champion by the end of the year

Right, I’m already going to accept my fate of being called every slur under the son and the probable cyber-beating that I will receive for this article. But, I’m going to write it anyway. Why? Because that’s the way I role Mother-farmers. 

In the midst of this Wrestlemania season, where The WWE throws it’s big stars into the mix in the desperate hope to create a positive reaction in the fans, there has been one performer that has bowled me over. Sure, I’m excited over the big matches, but not much in the booking of them has really made me stand up and go ‘wow’. One man has though. That man is our cobra donning friend, Santino Marella. 

I can already here you groan already, but just here me out. Santino has accomplished something in recent weeks that not many superstars can do in their whole career. He has managed to get them rooting for them. In the Battle Royal and Elimination Chamber, Santino was the fan favourite. He was the one that everybody wanted to win. Creating almost an unprecedented atmosphere. 

The reason for this almost epic like reaction? It’s down to character investment. The Santino story is an easy one to tell. He’s a loveable loser. Yes, he’s geeky and yes, he can sometimes be annoying. But, he’s himself and he gives whatever he does a 100%. The years of not achieving have made the crowd invest in Santino, meaning whenever he exceeds our low expectations, we want him to win. 

It’s this connection that has gained Santino the respect of the crowd. A respect that many of the baby faces in the locker room fail to get. It’s this connection that makes me believe that Santino will become a World Champion by the end of the year.

We’ve not had an underdog success story for a few years. Not since Rey Mysterio at Wrestlemania 22. I’m of the honest belief that Santino could be the next one. Since the WWE has teased Santino winning the big one several times now and he has failed each time, I would continue with the trend. 

Over the next twelve months I would have Santino face off in a few Number 1 contender matches.  Each time Santino would come pretty close to winning, but falling at the last hurdle. Each time he loses like this, the crowd will want him to win more and more. After a few months of this I would have Santino winning to become number 1 contender. The pop for that alone would be nuts. 

Santino would go into the match as a huge fan favourite, but no one deep down, would expect him to win. A true element of surprise would be achieved if Santino won and I’m sure the crowd would explode. The celebration alone would be worth the effort put in. 

He doesn’t need to have a long title run, I’d just judge it on how behind him the crowd actually are, but I would at least try it, you never know, it might just be crazy enough to work. 

Until next time, enjoy the show.
Follow me on Twitter @glamgrunge
Or email me at cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com
Daniel Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment