Wednesday 8 February 2012

I didn't expact that to happen


I didn’t expect that to happen. 

This title could be misleading. You could be led to believe that I consider something the WWE has done recently to be surprising. You would be wrong. Albeit, exciting and promising, The WWE is predictable as ever. D Bry will probably fight Sheamus, Jericho will face Orton and HHH will battle against The Undertaker. 

The last one probably is as unsurprising as going round to Ultimate Warrior’s house to find him wearing a clown outfit and punching a Gorilla in the face. The WWE love booking The Undertaker in rematches now and no matter how much they’re trying to double bluff, Trips will fight the Deadman at Wrestlemania 28. 

What is surprising is that they have actually made me care about it already. Last night on Raw, HHH came down and explained why he declined The Undertaker’s challenge. He said that instead of being scared of Taker, all he felt was sorry for him. He went on to say that he didn’t want to have a rematch with Taker because he knows how far he would have to go to end it and he doesn’t want to be that guy. 

After HHH had finished an Undertaker video package aired. In this video package, The Phenom (man he has a lot of nicknames), claimed that the victory over HHH last year mean nothing, because of how it happened. He offered Trips one more shot at immortality to face him again this year. You know what. These two promos made me want to see the match again. 

Before this, I didn’t want to see Triple H and Undertaker again. Yes, it would be a good match, but I just didn’t care about it. Know I do. Because it makes sense. I agree with HHH’s reason for not wanting to fight The Undertaker. If you admired (no homo) someone so much and you knew that you could beat them, but you’d have to end his career. I imagine you would be pretty hesitant to except. 

However, what makes more sense is The Undertakers urge to have another match. The man prides himself on his WM record. Having that record tarnished by a victory that could have so easily not been, must hurt like hell. Something he needs to redeem. 

These emotional back stories make complete sense. Too many times has The WWE tried to explain something and not really quite done it. For example, I still quite don’t get why Kane is wanting Cena to embrace the hate? Does he want to start an evil Justice League? I’m not sure. Maybe he just wants a new chess partner. 

But what I do get is why both Triple H and The Undertaker want and don’t want a match at Wrestlemania. This has made me immediately care about something I could have previously given two rats about. Proof that good storytelling makes good TV. You should take note WWE, you can do it occasionally. 

Until next time, enjoy the show.
Daniel Morris.
Feel free to comment below.
Follow @glamgrunge, or email at cinemascreenandspandex@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment