Wednesday 31 August 2011

Why the Geordie Shore is Great


 
Why The Geordie Shore is Great?

Nine articles in It’s time to go a bit rogue. Time to choose a topic that not everyone is going to agree on. That topic I have in mind? The Geordie Shore of course. In my ever so humble opinion, I think the Geordie shore is great TV and I hope that I can convince you the same with my amazing, great, adequate writing skills. 

I will be the first to admit that The Geordie Shore is trash television. Of course it is. I’m not going to defend the classiness of the show. Because to be fair, I think I would have an easier job teaching Professor X how to swim. The show is completely and utterly classless and tasteless. But it doesn’t stop it being great television.
The same can be said about the cast. Gaz, Jay, Greg, James, Holly, Sophie, Vickie and Charlotte aren’t exactly saints and I’m not going to say that I would love to be BFF’s with them all. Except from James. That man is just a God. But to be honest, I don’t want to watch a TV show that has well respectable members of society discussing Global Economics and whether or not we are all inside Plato’s Cave. 

I want to watch people who are loud, obnoxious, offensive, cocky and self centred. Why, I hear you cry? Because it’s damn entertaining to watch. In high school, I never wanted to be best friends with the loud, obnoxious, offensive, cocky and self centred people. But did I want to watch them make complete and utter tits of themselves? Hellz yeah I did. 

For two reasons. One, it was super funny and two; it made me feel so much better about myself. Yes, I may have not been super popular, but at least I knew that High School wasn’t going to be the pinnacle of my existence. 

It’s the same with The Geordie Shore. Yes, it’s damn funny watching Greg and James completely fail trying to pull and yes, it’s damn funny watching Jay and Vicki scream at each other for the one millionth time. But, it also makes me feel good about my life. OK, I may be jobless at the moment, yes I may have not much to do on a Tuesday night except from look at Facebook and wish I was a Dinosaur. 

But, at least I’m not these people. At least, my biggest concern is not whether my hair looks great. At least, I won’t cry if the local Tesco Extra runs out of Veet and at least, I’m not going to shit myself because Holly and Vicky are calling me behind my back. 

OK, no it’s not thought provoking and philosophical, no it won’t keep you up at night pondering the meaning of life and how we were all created an no it won’t  go down in history as a piece of world class television. But is it entertaining? Damn yes, is it funny? Damn yes and will it make you feel good about yourself?  Why-aye. 

Thanks for reading, I will hopefully have a few more columns up in the next few days. 

Follow me on Twitter: @glamgrunge

Add me on Facebook. 

Daniel Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment