Friday 19 August 2011

Review of the Summer of Film

I thought I best post here today. So I’m just going to write a quick recap on this Summers films. Having seen most of the films this summer I think I'll be able to cover it extensively. But please remember this is just my opinion, so don't go starting a lynch mob if you disagree.

Top three films this summer: Super Eight, Hanna and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Straight away you may wonder why Hanna is on the list. Not because it's a bad movie, but due to its release date. Hanna came out in May, which in film terms I would class as Summer. Also, my list, my rules. Ha. 
Super Eight is one of the best summer blockbusters that I have seen in recent years. The film contains a perfect blend of action and emotion. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but Super Eight is a great film that everyone should see.

Although, not as good, Hanna is similar to Super Eight in its terms of action and emotional truth. It was just so refreshing to see a director just have fun with his filmmaking and the result is a movie that is a pleasure to watch.

To conclude the top three we have Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's quite funny to think that my top 3 favourite films of the summer occurred at either the start of summer of the end of summer. Apart from the long winded title (couldn't they just call it Rise of the Apes?) Apes is great. There are a few problems with it (subtitled sign language) but for the most part it is a fun film.

Honourable mention: I think it's hard to talk about this summer without mentioning Harry Potter 7 Part 2. I grew up with Harry Potter and I have to say that the last film was a fitting tribute. Not in the top three films I have seen this summer, but definitely one of the better films of the summer, if not the year.

Worst three films of the summer: Sucker Punch, Green Lantern, Pirates 4

I'm not going to write too much about these films as they all suck. Don't see them. Fact.

Overall: I think this summer has been one of the best in recent years. I think Thor and Captain America were also pretty solid and I'm definitely looking forward to the Avengers. Pirates 4 and Transformers 3 weren't good, but not bad enough to ruin the summer.

Overall I will rate this summer a 7/10 for films.

Hope you enjoyed the column. Also, go to the movies more. It's great.

DM

No comments:

Post a Comment