Tuesday 13 March 2012

Going 3 Doors Down to see Seether


Going 3 Doors Down to see Seether. 

Now I am a fan of 3 Doors Down, they were one of my favourite bands when I was a Tween and for various reasons Here Without You, brings a tear to my eye. However, over the years my interest in music has varied and 3 Doors Down are one of them bands that has fallen by the waist side. 

That being said, I had never seen them live, so for Christmas, I brought my brother a ticket to see them in Manchester, with purchasing a ticket myself.  The main reason for my excitement however, was not to see 3 Doors Down, but to see Seether.

Seether are one of my favourite hard rock bands of all time, having seen them twice already, I will always take the opportunity to see them again as they always put on a stellar performance. And this time was none different. 

Don’t get me wrong, Seether isn’t one of them bands that put on a show. Hell, front man Sean Morgan barely speaks between songs. Normally, I wouldn’t enjoy this type of performance as I’m all about the fan reaction, but with Seether for some reason it doesn’t bother me. Maybe, it’s because there music is so good, but whatever it is, I just love watching them perform. 

Seether got about 45 minutes, which is longer than a usual support act. They played nine songs, which played out more as a selection of their hits, rather than playing a lot of their new material. However, they did play Country Song, which arguably is their best constructed song ever. If you have never heard it, give it a listen and I promise you won’t be disappointed. 

Seether left and after a hefty change around 3 Doors Down graces us with their presence. As I said previously, I was excited to see them as a chunk of nostalgia, but expected nothing special. How wrong I was.

Musically, 3 Doors Down may arguably be up there with the best I’ve seen. Their set was as well crafted as any I have seen and the performance of each song was almost pitch perfect. Front man Brad Arnold’s dad had been taken into hospital earlier in the day and you could truly see the emotion etched across his face. 

This is a front man who has had a bad day, but performs because he loves music and that was more than evident. The only blip on an otherwise flawless performance was their omission of arguably their most popular song Kryptonite, due to time constraints and The Manchester Academy having an eleven O Clock curfew. 

However, these things can’t be helped and it wasn’t necessarily the bands fault. 

Having felt crappy earlier in the day, Seether and 3DD made me feel exponentially better. Another case for the soothing power of music. 

Until next time, enjoy the show.
Daniel Morris
Twitter: @glamgrunge

No comments:

Post a Comment